iMessage is a very useful instant messenger for all Apple users, as it allows you to connect with your friends and share information over the air. You just need a good internet connection on your device, which can be used to turn on iMessage feature.
But is it really so easy to activate iMessage? Well, if you ask some iPhone and iPad users, you might get a different answer to this question.
Why won’t my iMessage turn on?
Interestingly, it is a well-known issue on iOS devices and people are still struggling to find some solution to resolve it.
In case you’re wondering why iMessage doesn’t turn on, please have a look at the following possibilities –
- Not connected to Wi-Fi or Mobile Data Network
- Date and Time settings changed
- SIM card changed
- Restrictions turned on
Sounds familiar? Now, you can at least try and find a solution according to these possible reasons.
Apart from that, I’d like to list some other fixes that have been helping several iPhone users. Please go through them below.
Check Wi-Fi and Mobile Network
Yes, you should always check Wi-Fi and Mobile Network whenever you come across iMessage related issues.
Since the iMessage feature is largely based on network, you gotta make sure that everything is up and running. If the network is down, you won’t get access to it.
You may also contact your network service provider to check if there is any issue with their servers.
Disable and enable Messages from Settings
Sometimes, you can fix such horrible issues with simple and easy solutions. Follow these steps and see if they work for you.
- Open the ‘Settings’ app and Turn off iMessage from Messages option.
- Restart your iPhone.
- Turn on iMessage again.
If there is any network or software glitch, this quick fix will automatically get rid of it.
Check Date and Time Settings
Many times, when you play certain time-bound iOS games, you tend to change the date and/or time settings to advance yourself to the next level. It does help in completing such games in quick time, but it can also result in some other unknown issues like unsuccessful iMessage activation.
In order to resolve this issue, you will have to do these following things –
- When you’re finished playing the game, add appropriate date and time details again.
- Reset the device using Home + Power button method.
Now, go ahead and turn on iMessage again!
Check your Restrictions in Settings app
iOS Restrictions feature lets you block certain apps and services on Apple devices.
If you’ve turned on Restrictions in Settings, please disable them for some time and reactivate iMessage.
Note – This step might also work for those who’re facing problems with FaceTime activation.
Reset Network Settings on iPhone
Even if everything seems fine, you can’t be sure about internal connectivity issues. Therefore, it’s always good to keep your network devices updated with proper settings.
To reset the network settings on iPhone, Apple has provided a dedicated section to make certain changes. This way, you don’t have to go anywhere else to reset the network.
Here’s how to reset network settings on iPhone –
1. Open the ‘Settings’ app from Home screen.
2. Go to ‘General’ and select ‘Reset’ option from the bottom of the screen.
3. Tap on the ‘Reset Network Settings’ option and enter your passcode as requested.
4. Once you’ve performed the reset, try to turn on the iMessage service again.
With all new network settings, you should be able to reactivate it on your device. If it doesn’t work, you’ll be left with the ultimate option i.e hard reset.
Perform Hard Reset on iPhone
Hard reset is a widely popular technique to fix the majority of software related issues on iOS devices.
For those who don’t know, it helps in cleaning all the data and installing the iOS update as a fresh new copy on your device. So, be careful while performing this reset method. You might just delete your important data.
Do make sure that you’ve safely backed up your device on computer or iCloud. It will also save your time while restoring the device from old backup archives in iTunes.
Now, let’s see how to perform hard-reset on iPhones –
- Backup your iPhone on iCloud service through Settings app.
- Open iTunes on your Mac or Windows. Check for its new update and download if available.
- Once you’re done with downloading the update, connect your iPhone to the computer.
- Click on ‘Restore’ button and let the system perform its tasks. It will erase all your data and install new iOS software as mentioned above. This process will take some time, so be patient.
- If the process is completed and your phone is up with clean iOS copy, try to reactivate iMessage again.
- And once you’ve managed to turn on iMessage, you may try restoring the device again with the previous backup.
The aforementioned hard-reset process has worked for a lot of iPhone users. So, do give it a try!
iMessage Activation Period
Now that you’ve turned on iMessage on iPhone, let’s wait for 24-hours more to complete the process.
According to Apple, you should wait for a day after activating iMessage on the device, as many mobile network carriers take this much period to initiate and approve your request.
That’s all! I hope you’ve managed to find an answer and solution to this iMessage activation issue. If you know different methods or tricks to fix it, you can share them in the comments section below.